- To be honest I was too distracted by the horses to hear whether there were any interesting stories on this particular area… oh well!!
- Once again the fur seen on the saddle blankets are real bear though 😦
Prime Minister House
- We got some interesting stories about this area…one of which involved the placement of where the Prime Minister lived… it is directly across from a park that has quite the reputation to be able to solicit prostitutes at night… so needless to say, many a rumor flew that the reason he picked that house was so he would have close and more discreet access to the ladies of the park
- Another interesting story: The large yard in front of the house was actually ear marked to have the equestrian events during the Olympics. However, not wanting his view soiled by the look of hundreds of horses and the smell of them to boot , the venue for the equestrian events was moved to another location and tons upon tons of sand was brought in to that location so that the Prime Ministers view could be that of… Women’s beach volleyball… Obviously he had only the best intentions for the horses when choosing a different venue for them…
- See the pictures of the Horse Guard Palace to see where the equestrian events were supposed to be (and where the women’s volleyball competition did happen). It is all just in front of the Prime Ministers house
- By the way, I can’t say exactly which of the Prime Ministers were the ones involved in the above activities… I can’t say mainly just because I can’t remember, lol!!
- Most recently famous for being the site of Prince William and Princess Kate’s marriage
- Housed the Stone of Destiny for many years until taken back and returned to Scotland (more on this story in the Edinburgh castle section)
- Big Ben is actually the name of the bell, not the tower. There are several bells that are up in the tower, 4 small ones if memory serves and one large bell: Big ben
- Big ben actually has a hole in it from being struck so many times. It now makes somewhat of a dull ‘gong’ sound that it never used to
- The actual tower is called simply Queen Elizabeth (if memory serves, lol!!)
Ok, now I know that for many of these areas there are a ton of more interesting facts about each place, but if I gave everything away there wouldn’t be any reason for any readers to either want to find out more or go on a tour themselves when in London! Also, it is quite difficult to recall EVERYTHING from the tour, especially toward the end as my mind and body were getting quite tired!!
On to Areas Not Covered